Helping Your Church be Highly Friendly
Written by Ken Mayfield
I absolutely love working with people. Maybe it’s the pastor side of me, but I enjoy the folks I get to work alongside at the station, at my church and certainly, I love my family.
Let’s take the church side of that for a moment. At our church, I am over the greeters. We have over 100. I tell them, “Your job is THE MOST IMPORTANT because you help to create the atmosphere as someone is coming in that helps them enter into worship!” But it goes beyond those who have a name-tag that says, “Greeter”. Too often, we think it’s the pastor’s or the staff’s job to make sure that guests feel at home when visiting our church. But, it’s the responsibility of everyone attending! YOU!
This week, at your church, I challenge you to introduce yourself to everyone you don’t know. Sure, every now and then, you’ll get the response, “No, we’re not guests. We’ve been here for years.” That’s always a little embarrassing but you’ll remember them the next time!
At Pastors.com, Brian K. Dodd’s article included 13 things that Highly Friendly churches do. I changed it a little and shortened it to ten. I think it’s worth sharing.
- Highly Friendly Churches Have Highly Friendly Senior Pastors – The people are always a picture of the leader. In church environments, the congregation will usually model its senior pastor. So goes the leader, so go the people.
- Highly Friendly Churches Have Highly Friendly Staffs – Fun-loving, friendly staff for a church are a must-have.
- Highly Friendly Churches Leverage Social Media – Facebook works. Having a social media strategy shows people you care about engaging them where they are.
- Highly Friendly Churches Make Great First Impressions – As a guest drives onto the property, is it welcoming?
- Highly Friendly Churches Passionately Serve Their Local Communities – Are you getting out? Or expecting the community to discover your church on their own?
- Highly Friendly Churches Care About Those Attending Their Church – Is there a plan in place to minister when a family has a crisis?
- Highly Friendly Churches Are Multi-Ethnic And Multi-Generational – Hopefully, your church is welcoming to all; African-Americans, Latinos, Caucasians, men, women, seasoned, and young. Highly Friendly churches build bridges with those who look differently than they do.
- Highly Friendly Churches Have Volunteers Who Are Glad To Be There – Once again, the people are a picture of the leader.
- Highly Friendly Churches Are Passionate About Getting Better – Always strive to be improve…always.
- Highly Friendly Churches Make You Glad You Were There – When a guest leaves, are they excited about returning? They should be.